Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Kentucky Storm

Although I already posted a few pictures of the Kentucky storm damage on Facebook, I recently found some more pictures on another camera that I thought I'd share.

In case you missed the details, here is the story of the infamous ceiling collapse.

On one of our last nights in Kentucky before our move to North Carolina, meteorologists were forecasting strong storms with possible tornadoes for later that night.  We lived in a townhouse and the safest place for us to be was on the first floor so we basically planned on spending the night in the living room until the storm passed.  Maddox had fallen asleep on the couch and we brought Hadley downstairs with us as soon as the storm got close.  

Right as the storm hit, the winds picked up and we heard shingles fly off our roof.  Less than 30 minutes later our smoke detectors began going off and we couldn't determine why.  After a little investigation, we discovered water pouring out of the smoke detectors in Hadley and Maddox's bedrooms. We called the property manager's emergency line and they told us there was nothing they could do about it until the morning.  In the meantime, we took as many of the things out of the kiddos' bedrooms that we could to prevent anything from being damaged by water.  We also placed buckets and large bowls under the smoke detectors to catch as much of the water as possible.

About 30 minutes after that, we heard water coming from somewhere downstairs.  Again after investigation, we found water coming out of an electrical outlet and the circuit breaker box.  We called maintenance AGAIN and a man came and turned the power off at our house.  Right as he did, Hadley went running through the hallway where the water had been leaking and slipped on a puddle of water, falling and hitting her head on the hard floor.  She immediately started vomiting, which made me think that she may have had a concussion.

I took her to the emergency room at 2:00 in the morning.  After they determined that she was fine, we came back home by about 4:00.  Right after Hadley and I got home, J went upstairs for some reason and discovered that the ceiling in her bedroom had collapsed.  I refused to go look at it because by that time, I was exhausted and just needed to sleep.  After a few hours of sleep, I finally went upstairs and this is what I saw...

We have been in North Carolina two months and we are still finding pieces of pink insulation in the most random places.

The last two pictures are of Maddox's room.  His ceiling didn't collapse but they did eventually cut a hole in it to let the water drain out.  Thankfully the property managers had people at our house by 8:00 to get it cleaned up.  What a mess!

No comments:

Post a Comment